FLASHBACK CORNER #3
AWA’s SuperClash is held in Comiskey Park, Chicago, IL on September 28, 1985, featuring AWA, NWA, and WCCW talent. The matches are called by Larry Nelson, whom I consider is the least interesting commentator and interviewer in wrestling. The matches are not in the actual order since I watched this via YouTube.
- AWA Light Heavyweight Title Match: “Mr. Electricity” Steve Regal (c) vs. Brad Rheingans: Steve Regal retains the title over Brad Rheingans with help from Jimmy Garvin. Rheingans chases Regal and slams him on the baseball field. **
- AWA Women’s Title Match: Candi Devine (c) vs. Sherri Martel: Martel goes over the rope which would result in a DQ (WTH?), but the referee seems to ignore it. Sherri Martel wins the title over Candi Devine. **1/2
- Six-Man Tag Team Match: Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta, & Genichiro Tenryu vs. Harley Race & The Long Ryders (Bill & Scott Irwin): According to Wikipedia (loosely), this match was for the Asian Six-Man Tag Team titles, but the belts were never seen at all. This match features two former AWA champions-Tsuruta and Harley Race. Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta, & Genichiro Tenryu def. Harley Race & The Long Riders. **1/2
- NWA Midgets Title Match: Little Tokyo (c) vs. Little Mr. T: Little Tokyo retains the title over Little Mr. T. **
- IWA (Mexican) Heavyweight Title Match: Mil Mascaras (c) vs. Buddy Roberts: Interesting fact, the IWA promotion in Mexico closed in 1978, so why is Mascaras defending the belt? Mil Mascaras retains the title over Buddy Roberts. *
- WCCW Texas Heavyweight Title Match: Kerry Von Erich (c) vs. Jimmy Garvin w/ Prescious: Kerry dedicates his match to Mike Von Erich, who was battling toxic shock syndrome at this time. Kerry goes over the top rope twice, but referee does not disqualify (am I the only one who hates this rule?). Kerry Von Erich retains the title over Jimmy Garvin. ***
- Six-Man Tag Match: Scott Hall, Greg Gagne & Curt Henning vs. Ray “The Crippler” Stevens, Nick Bockwinkel & Larry Zbyszko: Greg Gagne looks uncomfortable in military camo. Jack Britcase (sorry for the misspelling), a former wrestling and baseball announcer for the Chicago area; he does a lot of exposition, a little too much for my taste. It is basically a match between the older wrestlers (Bockwinkel’s team) and younger wrestlers (Greg Gagne’s team). The crowd gets distract by something outside the ring, which we don’t see at all. Greg Gagne, Curt Henning & Scott Hall def. Ray Stevens, Nick Bockwinkel & Larry Zbyszko. ***
- AWA World Tag Team Title Match: Road Warriors (c) w/ Paul Ellering vs. Fabulous Freebirds w/ Buddy Roberts: All three Freebirds wear Confederate flag makeup. Hayes hits Animal with brass knuckles, allowing Gordy to pin. However, Verne Gagne has viewed the replay and reverses the decision and the Road Warriors retain the titles by disqualification. ***
- NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Title Match: The Russians (Ivan Koloff, Krusher Khruschev & Nikita Koloff) (c) vs. Dick the Bruiser, The Crusher & Baron von Raschke: Ivan Koloff is cut early and bleeding during the match. The Russians retain the titles over Dick the Bruiser, The Crusher & Baron von Raschke. *1/2
- AWA Americas Title Match: Sgt. Slaughter (c) vs. Boris Zhukov: Sgt. Slaughter gets bloodied by Zhukov; it was a wild brawl. Sgt. Slaughter retains the title over Boris Zhukov by disqualification. ****
- Body Slam Match: Kamala w/ Sheik Adnan Kassiey vs. Jerry Blackwell: Adnan sings the Arabia National Anthem (Nikolai Volkoff will not like this at all.) I feel they are ripping off WrestleMania’s bodyslam match (even though it was not a good match at all; see my Flashback Corner #1), but both are not the best wrestlers. Jerry Blackwell slams Kamala. Adnan and Kamala beat Blackwell down and two jobbers before Raschke chases them off with a baseball bat. *
- AWA World Title Match: Rick Martel (c) vs. Stan “The Lariat” Hansen: Big brawl between these two and it goes out into the baseball field before they get in the ring to start the match. Both men are disqualified for use of weapons, especially Hansen using his bullhorn. **
- NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: Ric Flair (c) vs. Magnum T.A.: Flair retains the title over Magnum TA. Next year, Magnum TA is involved in a car accident that forces him to end his career. ****
OVERALL GRADE: B; This PPV was a mix of average to good matches. However, this is team up between the AWA, NWA, and WCCW would never happen again due to Verne Gagne accusing Jim Crockett, Jr. trying to sign AWA talent (Verne was still reeling from losing Hulk Hogan and several others to the WWF). AWA would try a team up again with SuperClash III in 1988. Perhaps I will do a future Flashback Corner on SuperClash III.
Best Match: Tie between Sgt. Slaughter vs. Boris Zhukov and Ric Flair vs. Magnum T.A.
Worst Match: Kamala vs. Jerry Blackwell